Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Mother's Day

I now have three very important women in my life. My mother, my grandmother and my mother in law. Today is about my mom. My mom is a wonderful woman. She may cry more than most, which I think has been passed down to me (just ask Geoff), but she is blessed spiritually. This is the first year that I will not be at home for mother's day to celebrate with her but I have sent her a card that is sure to produce some tears. Which is good because I love her so very much. She has put up with me now for 27 years, how could I not love her.

So I'd like to share some stories about my mom. She is a fun mom with a different sense of humor than most. For almost a year I would receive a card a month from a secret admirer that was mailed from the city of Winnipeg. I was very curious as to which guy was sending me these cards as anyone who knows me knows how curious I am. I thought it was my boyfriend at the time but as I thanked him for the card he got a little bit upset that someone was sending me cards so I didn't bring that up again. Then I tried to match the handwriting on the envelope with boys I knew at university. No luck. Two more cards and then a present was delivered to where I lived!! And it was exactly what I liked, Anne Geddes stuffed ladybug baby. Well this person must know me well enough to get me such a wonderful present. Once again to the boyfriend which really didn't go over well at all. I showed all of my family at Christmas, bragging about how I had a secret admirer. Yet no one that I told, family, friends, boys I knew, claimed to be the admirer. The cards kept coming right through till June. Now by this time, well actually a couple months earlier, I changed my opinion of the whole situation and began to believe that I was being stalked. No one was fessing up to it and now someone that I didn't know, knew where I lived and stuff. I really don't like being at home alone and one night I remember talking with my parents on the phone as I checked the whole house to make sure that there was no one in the house. Then explaining how these cards were freaking me out and well they kept on coming.

Now it's June and my birthday has arrived. I am at my parents house and open my gifts. Then the card and guess what? It is the last of the secret admirer cards that reveals the person behind it all and low and behold it is my parents!! More specifically my mom. I would love to see the expression on my face when I opened that card. Not for a moment had I ever expected that it would be her. Now my mind flashes back to Christmas, as I bragged about it. And to the phone conversation where I explained how I didn't like the whole thing. They all knew!! My mom had my Auntie Agnes mailing them from the city for her, my cousin Tannis dropped off the present and everyone knew because the family just knows. What a fool I had made out of myself as I am sure that they were all laughing at me and I was none the wiser. Of course my mother would know what I wanted for Christmas or what I would like. Kudos to my mom!

Now for the best funny story that I can remember about my mom. We were on a trip to Alberta for something and it was my parents, me and my aunt Theresa. We stop at the DQ for a treat and to use the bathrooms. Well I run in and into the women's and I know that my mom and aunt both had to go too but they are not in there yet. It just so happens that my mom had to go so bad she didn't care which bathroom she went in and accidentally went into the men's washroom, into the stall and sat down to go. My aunt also having to go really bad just followed her right in. Although, all she was left with was a urinal and said, Betty, this is the men's room! Apparently my mom decided to finish what she had begun, washed her hands and then left.

I am very happy to have my mom in my life. I love her so much. Happy Mother's Day Mom!!

2 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I not sure when I found out that your secret admirer was your Mother but I sure remember how touching It was to see how much Love that a Mother could have for her daughter. She was so excited planning and watching your reactions every time you received a gift. Knowing and having someone show you how much Love they have is priceless.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

Happy Mother's Day Aunty Betty! I guess I should get on the ball and write some nice things about my mom on my blog too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home